Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Crochet Help for Newbies: Choosing Your Hook Size

I hope you are all having a good day! I am - I am able to tick one project off my list. I will write a blog about it soon, but first I want to add this one that is on WillowSeed's website, too. It is all about the size of your hook versus your project.

Your Own Tension

I have had plenty of experiences where I realised that I work either too tightly or too loosely. I often work tightly, but now I do it on purpose. I like the look of my work when it is just a little more on the tight side (just as long as I can still move my hook around with ease).

Because I work naturally tight, I hardly need to go for a smaller hook size. I often use the same hook size as recommended on the yarn label. Sometimes, however, a mess up can come from following the guidelines put on the label. Some projects come out looking far too loose and large. I call it looking sloppy, because that is exactly what it looks like.

The one below looks a lot more fluffy and sloppy than the one above it, doesn't it? This is what 0.5 hook size difference can do.
This is why I always say it depends on yourself. You have preferences. You have certain techniques. You have your own unique ways of doing things, and the yarn label doesn't know that. Keep yourself in mind before you go crazy and use up your entire yarn on a project that could have looked a little neater.

The 0.5 Difference in Hook Size

I need say no more. The picture here illustrates the difference between a 4mm and a 4.5mm better than I can explain.

Small changes make big differences, so try to change your hook size only by 0.5mm until you are happy with your end result.

It made a difference in how I saw my project. In the beginning I wasn't happy about this project at all. Go read my feelings in this entry. Now, I can say the end result is much better. As I mentioned before, I will write an entry about it next time with a link here for you. Your hook size can either make a project disaster or, well, make a nice, good-looking project.

The End Result

I am unique, and so are you. This is why patterns and labels can be used as a guideline, but only as a guideline. In the beginning, I wanted my work to look exactly like the so-called experts out there. I felt annoyed every time my work came out looking a lot different. I thought I was terrible at crochet. I understand after plenty of practice that everyone has their own way of crocheting. Yours will look different than mine, but it doesn't mean my projects are better or worse than yours - it's just different.

Work with your own unique way and create what feels right. If you aren't happy with your end result, do something different. If you can see the pattern looks a little too loose, use a 0.5mm smaller hook (make small changes to your hook size). Play around. It's your own project, even if it is another's pattern.

You might want your project to look loose, then use a bigger hook. You might want your project to look really tight, then use a smaller hook. Make changes to your design using your own creativity and judgement. Remember to always have fun when crocheting.

I hope I helped, inspired and motivated some of you today. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment